Font size        

Rent Assistance

Rent Assistance Benefit

The Government of Alberta has redesigned its Rent Supplement Program to meet the needs of more Albertans, including working families and those most in need.

Starting April 3, we are accepting applications for the Rent Assistance Benefit. Formerly, the Direct to Tenant Rent Supplement, this long-term benefit will continue to subsidize low income Albertans.

Once complete, applications are processed and prioritized according to Alberta’s Social Housing Regulation.

Click here for the Rent Supplement Application If you need a printed copy, please contact or call (780) 963-2149.

Completed applications and required documents can be submitted to the office in person or via email, mail, or fax. Please see the application cover page for details.

Program Highlights

  • The amount of subsidy is calculated based on household size, composition, income, and local market rent.
    The program has a minimum subsidy of $50 per month and a maximum of $500 per month.
  • Households are prioritized based on need as determined by the Alberta Social Housing Accommodation Regulation.
  • Recipients must provide regular reporting and eligibility is reassessed annually.

Do I qualify?

Households must meet the following criteria for the rent assistance benefit program eligibility:

  • Be in core housing need
  • Household Income Limit below local income thresholds set by the Government of Alberta
    • For Stony Plain, Spruce Grove and Parkland County the local income thresholds are:
      • Studio $37,000
      • 1 Bedroom $44,000
      • 2 Bedroom $54,000
      • 3 Bedroom $67,000
      • 4 Bedroom $71,500
    • Total income is considered to be the total gross income, including self-employment income, from all sources, of all members of the household 22 years of age and older.
  • Has a total asset value of $25,000 or less;
  • Canadian citizens, permanent residents, refugees sponsored by the Government of Canada, or individuals who have applied for refugee or immigration status and for whom private sponsorship has broken down, and
  • Have a current lease within the boundaries of one of the following communities: Stony Plain, Spruce Grove, Parkland County.
  • Live in eligible housing, a self-contained, rented home. This means the home has its own kitchen and bathroom and is not shared with the landlord. It does include:
    • A basement or secondary suite that has been approved by the municipality.
    • Detached housing, row/townhouse, duplex or triplex, or apartments or condos with a lease agreement in place.
    • Mobile home where the tenant is renting the whole unit (pad rent only is not eligible).
    • Co-operatives with a written co-operative agreement.

What is Core Housing Need?

  • A household is in core housing need if they meet one or more of the following:
    • Pay more than 30% of before-tax income on rent,
    • Their housing is in need of major repairs (Ex: defective plumbing or electrical, structural repair needed to floors, walls or ceilings)
    • Their housing does not have enough bedrooms for the size and make-up of the residents. Children over the age of 5 may not share a bedroom with someone of a different gender identity.

Does my vehicle count as an asset?

  • The total value of assets must be less than $25,000. However, the primary vehicle for a household does not count; assets such as RRSPs, RESPs, RRIFs, and TFSAs also do not count. Clothing and tools for work purposes are also exempt.
  • Examples of assets that are not exempt are money in regular bank accounts and property owned such as a house or recreational vehicle.

Who makes up my household?

  • A household is defined in the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation under section 1(1)(i) as an individual who is applying for or occupying social housing accommodation, including the following, if any:
    • The spouse or adult interdependent partners of this applicant or occupant,
    • An individual related by blood, adoption, or marriage, or by virtue of an adult interdependent or who is known to have lived regularly as a member of the household as part of the family unit,
    • The dependents who are living with the applicants or occupant, including any dependents of whom the applicant or occupant has joint or sole custody,
    • A member of the household who is usually a member of the household but is temporarily absent any reason of:
      • Military service
      • Hospitalization
      • Employment
      • School attendance, or
      • Other special circumstances
      • A live-in aide



Be in Touch!

4908 53 Ave, PO Box 3191, Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1Y4

Contact Us